Pine Needle Basket #2

 



Price $100 with free shipping in the continental US.
I ship using USPS Ground, which is the least expensive option that included a tracking number.  If you prefer Priority Mail or another shipping option, international shipping or would like to combine shipping on multiple items to save a little money, please email me at judson@judsoncarroll.com




This basket is the result of a walk in the woods.  I happened under a pine tree where squirrels had been eating pinecones.  They actually eat the seeds, or pine nuts.  Our native pines don't have nuts large enough to gather for human consumption, but we have millions of big grey squirrels, some red squirrels, lots of flying squirrels and my favorite, the fox squirrel.  Well, one of them left me this partial pinecone under the tree.



The shape and size of the pinecone was perfect for a knob on a box type basket with a lid.  So, I gathered a bag full of green pine needles and let them dry for a few weeks while I figured out the design, then processed the materials and got started.


Pine needle basketry is a lot of work, but I REALLY like this design!  It is very satisfying to see something like this come together from just a vague idea.... and it gives me another great reason to spend time in the woods.  Who knows what I'll find next while out mushroom hunting?

Traditional baskets are very durable and will last for generations if properly cared for - keep them dry and out of direct sunlight.  Sunlight won't really damage baskets but will cause them to fade.  No two handmade baskets are identical, and the personal style of the weaver is evident.  That makes handmade baskets a popular collectible.  I am sure that the person who buys this basket will enjoy it for many years and that hopefully, they will pass it down to future generations so that their family can share in my cultural traditions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*** SOLD*** Serving Spoon #1

***SOLD**** Toddler and Mother Spoon set #1

Eating Spoon #1