***SOLD*** Wild Cherry Cooking Set #1

 

Price $50 with free shipping in the continental US.
I ship using USPS Ground, which is the least expensive option that included a tracking number.  If you prefer Priority Mail or another shipping option, international shipping or would like to combine shipping on multiple items to save a little money, please email me at judson@judsoncarroll.com


With Christmas coming up, I decided to work on some sets that would make nice gifts.  


This first one is a set of cooking spoons carved from wild cherry.  This is truly a matching set as the spoons came from the same piece of wood.  In fact, the smaller spoon was essentially nestled beside the larger before I carved them out.


Wild cherry is a particularly beautiful wood, with a rich color and a straight grain.  I normally don't make spoons with such long handles, but the grain was so pretty that I had to show it off a little.



It is very hard to find wild cherry that can be responsibly harvested.  In early America it was in high demand for furniture, and the bark is used to make a very effective cough syrup.  The demand was such that it was over harvested.


The cherry tree though, has a survival strategy... delicious fruit!  They also have beautiful spring flowers.  Birds, all manner of critters and humans make sure that the cherry will be widely planted.


Birds and squirrels are not the best orchardists, so the hap-hazard natural seed distribution results in cherry trees often growing in places where they don't have the sun or space to get very large.  This tree was in my yard.  I live on a north-west slope and the tree grew at such a severe angle to try to find sunlight that one winter it fell over.  I have only 12 logs from this tree, so the items I carve from it will be very limited.

I think whoever buys this these will enjoy using them.  They are sealed with Walnut Oil.  As always, my woodwork is sustainably sourced from trees that are storm damaged or that must be thinned. Each piece is entirely hand made in the ancient greenwood tradition. I use only a hand saw, a small axe and knives. Each piece comes with a handwritten, numbered and signed document. These are heirloom quality spoons that, if properly cared for, will last for generations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*** SOLD*** Serving Spoon #1

***SOLD**** Toddler and Mother Spoon set #1

Eating Spoon #1