***SOLD*** Cherry Bowl #2

 


Price $60 with free shipping in the continental US.
I ship using USPS Ground, which is the least expensive option that included a tracking number.  If you prefer Priority Mail or another shipping option, international shipping or would like to combine shipping on multiple items to save a little money, please email me at judson@judsoncarroll.com



This is the second bowl I have carved out of Wild Cherry.  It is a round dinner or soup bowl.  I have very large hands, so it can be hard to get an idea of the dimensions.  It is approximately 6 1/2 inches wide and two inches deep.  That is a very nice size for a dinner bowl... and, I am very tempted to lad it up with a hearty noodle dish for myself!  


Carving bowls using only hand tools gives me a great respect for our ancestors.  This bowl was not turned on a lathe.  I used only an axe, a hand saw, knives, gouges and a rasp.  It took about 15 yours to transform it from a split log into a bowl.  It is a lot of hard work, but it is worth it - look at that beautiful grain!



I really like the way the sides of the bowl shows the growth rings of the tree.  Bowls should always be carved against the grain, using half of a split log.  It is much easier to carve with the grain from an unsplit log, but that results in a bowl of inferior quality which will wear out quickly.  I think whoever buys this one will enjoy using it.  It is sealed with Walnut Oil.  As always, my woodwork is sustainably sourced from trees that are storm damaged or that must be thinned. Each piece is entirely hand made in the ancient greenwood tradition. I use only a hand saw, a small axe, knives and gouges. It is an heirloom quality piece that, if properly cared for, will last for generations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*** SOLD*** Serving Spoon #1

***SOLD**** Toddler and Mother Spoon set #1

Eating Spoon #1