Wild Cherry Cooking set variation

 


Price $50 with free shipping in the continental US.
I ship using USPS Ground, which is the least expensive option that included a tracking number.  If you prefer Priority Mail or another shipping option, international shipping or would like to combine shipping on multiple items to save a little money, please email me at judson@judsoncarroll.com



Back in November and December I was carving A LOT of cherry and birch cooking spoon sets for commission customers, as Christmas gifts.  I carve "by hand and eye", just allowing the knife to follow the grain of the wood, with only an idea of the final design in mind.  One spoon I carved did not match the others.  It was the smaller of these two.



Even though it was not a match for the set I was working on, I really liked this spoon.  It felt nice in the hand, the grain was very nice and I liked the shape both as a cooking and eating spoon.  To me , this spoon was ideal for tasting food as you cook.


I had several orders to fill and a couple of bowls I wanted to carve, so I stuck this one back for a while even though I really wanted to carve a match for it right away.  Carving a matching spoon is not easy.  A lot depends on the grain of the wood and wear it sits in the log - the heartwood of cherry would not match.  It took a couple of tries that just resulted in kindling.  But, I finally got one that I think is the perfect companion. 


The second spoon is about 1/4rd larger.  The grain is really pretty and I think it compliments the smaller spoon nicely.  I really like these!

I think whoever buys these will enjoy using them.  They are sealed with Walnut Oil.  As always, my woodwork is sustainably sourced from trees that are storm damaged or that must be thinned. Each piece is entirely hand made in the ancient greenwood tradition. I use only a hand saw, a small axe and knives. These are heirloom quality spoons that, if properly cared for, will last for generations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*** SOLD*** Serving Spoon #1

***SOLD**** Toddler and Mother Spoon set #1

Eating Spoon #1