Eating Spoon # 5: The first Lefthanded Leaf Spoon

Price $30 with free shipping in the continental US.


I ship using USPS Ground, which is the least expensive option that included a tracking number.  If you prefer Priority Mail or another shipping option, international shipping or would like to combine shipping on multiple items to save a little money, please email me at judson@judsoncarroll.com


This was the first Leaf Spoon and the first Lefty.  This piece of American Holly was too pretty to waste, but it was twisted and knotty.  I began carving a regular eating spoon, but I had to carve around a knot at the tip of the spoon and at the tip of the handle. 


The mirrored curves came about, not due to a preconceived design, but just following the natural growth pattern of the wood.  The spoon almost made its own shape; I merely pushed the knife.  


When it was finished, the bowl, being asymmetrical, was more appropriate for a lefthanded person.  My grandfather was a lefty.  He had a very hard time finding hand tools and such that worked for him and he always had to adapt.  Were he still alive, this spoon would have been a gift for him.  I decided to purposefully make some lefthanded spoons after this one, in his honor.

As always, my woodwork is sustainably sourced from trees that are storm damaged or that must be thinned. Each piece is entirely hand made in the ancient greenwood tradition. I use only a hand saw, a small axe and knives. Each piece comes with a handwritten, numbered and signed document. These are heirloom quality spoons, sealed with walnut oil.  If properly cared for, they will last for generations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*** SOLD*** Serving Spoon #1

***SOLD**** Toddler and Mother Spoon set #1

Eating Spoon #1