Pocket Spoon #2

   Price $25 with free shipping in the continental US.

I ship using USPS Ground, which is the least expensive option that included a tracking number.  If you prefer Priority Mail or another shipping option, international shipping or would like to combine shipping on multiple items to save a little money, please email me at judson@judsoncarroll.com


I have a particular fondness for Pocket Spoon... they seem somewhat emblematic of my heritage.  You see, I am mostly equal parts Irish, French and English.  Although this spoon is based on an English design, the pocket spoon is very at home in the Scottish (or Celtic in General) sporran.  But, as a cooking obsessed partial Frenchy, I have to keep a tasting spoon in my shirt or jacket pocket.  The tasting spoon is as essential as the hand towel I keep tucked into my belt.  


But, it isn't just that Pocket Spoons have an ancestral feel to me, or that I use one frequently as a teaspoon int he kitchen, but as a carver these are very satisfying.  Pocket spoons are small.  The wood selected needs to be strong and finely grained.  The skill required to get all the lines straight and to make the edges sharp takes practice.  The details are done with the very tip of the knife.  A good pocket spoon often takes longer to carve than a big cooking spoon because the work is intricate.  



I think every cook should have one of these.  I actually try to make the bowl thin enough that sunlight can show through, so the choice of wood is essential.  These may be light, and delicate are NOT fragile spoons!  I would not sell a spoon that was not up to my standards.

As always, my woodwork is sustainably sourced from trees that are storm damaged or that must be thinned. Each piece is entirely hand made in the ancient greenwood tradition. I use only a hand saw, a small axe and knives. Each piece comes with a handwritten, numbered and signed document. These are heirloom quality spoons that, if properly cared for, will last for generations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*** SOLD*** Serving Spoon #1

***SOLD**** Toddler and Mother Spoon set #1

Eating Spoon #1